Monday, February 2, 2015

My progress map

Hi, 

My name is Chloe. I am in 4th grade and I am on on a mission to see the 21 missions in California before the end of the school year. I already went to Mission San Francisco Solano a couple of weekends ago. Tomorrow my family leaves to visit the next six. We aren't going in the order that they were built because its easier to group them by which ones are closer to each other. I will use this blog to post photos of the missions, list my favorite thing about each mission and to update a map of which missions I've visited. 

Here's our plan:
2/3: Mission San Miguel
2/3: Mission San Luis Obispo
2/4: La Purisima Concepcion
2/4: Santa Inez
2/5: Santa Barbara
2/5: San Buenaventura

Here's an map that I will update to show which ones I've gone to along the way. The blue stars will show which Missions I have gone to.


I hope you feel like you are on my trip with me! If you have questions, I'll try to answer them. Just leave a comment.



4 comments:

  1. Hi Chloe! The pictures you're sharing are great! Can you share what the purpose of the missions were? I notice one of them had a cannon. Why was it there? Did they have to use it for protection?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The canon was used to protect the mission. Most of the missions were in the shape of a rectangle with the buildings around the outside of a courtyard. The people stayed inside the courtyard for work because it protected them from the unfriendly Indians that may be outside. Some missions had friendly Indians as neighbors but others didn't. So the canon protected them against attacks. There were soldiers who lived at every mission too.

      Delete
  2. The purpose of the missions was because Spain wanted to control the land in California and also to teach Indians who already lived here about God. The Indians got food, clothes, shelter and education in exchange for working at the mission and making everything the mission needed. Some things they made were pottery, candles, yarn, things out of metal, hydes, furniture and food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! How's the weather?

    ReplyDelete